It is important to be able to command your dog to leave objects off the ground:
- Distasteful substances whilst out on a walk
- Dangerous items
- Other dogs
The ‘Take It’ and ‘Leave It’ Commands
- Hold a treat in both hands, hide one hand behind your back and show the dog the treat in the other hand.
- If the dog moves towards the treat, close the hand and bring it up and away from the dogs face.
- Immediately when the dog has stopped reaching for the treat, bring the hand back down opening it under the dogs face so that they can see it.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have your open hand within reach of the dog and they are not attempting to take the treat.
- If you can have your hand open and your dog is not trying to taken the treat then introduce the command ‘leave it’.
- Then reward instantly with the treat that is hidden in the other hand.